The beginning of the XX century is characterized by rapid development of coal, metallurgical, machine-building, chemical and other industries on the territory of the present Donetsk region and, accordingly, an increase in the population of the region. In connection with this, there was a need for more doctors, teachers, engineers, nurses, etc. By 1930 there were 2,600 doctors and 7,436 peoples in the medical center in Donbas, but this was clearly not enough.
On June 12, 1930, in accordance with Protocol No. 19/672 of the meeting of the Council of People's Commissars of the Ukrainian SSR (Kharkov), it was decide to open the Stalin Medical Institute in autumn of 1930.
Organizational work was conducted by the head of the Stalin district health department Ivan Yakovlevich Olimpiev, who became the first director of the institute. He managed in a short time to select the cadres of teachers and staff, to complete the renovation of the premises allocated for the institute.
In the building of the former OCD (Obsessive-compulsive disorder) financial department (now the city hospital № 1) the first department were located: social sciences, biology, anatomy, history, physiology, chancery and library; in the premises of the former OCD department of agriculture - Department of Physics and Chemistry. Under the student hostel were allocated chambers of the 2-nd district hospital and private houses. The equipment for the departments was ordered in Moscow and Kharkov, some of the special devices were from abroad.
A great help was rendered by the medical institutes of Kiev, Odessa, and Kharkov. They shared microscopes, colleagues from Kharkov sent part of the exhibits of their anatomical museum with original preparations. The Leningrad Military Medical Academy transferred several hundred volumes from their scientific library to the young university. Head of the Department of Normal Anatomy of the Kharkov Medical Institute Academician Vorobyev took part in drawing up a plan for the construction of the institute, in particular, the morphological, physic-chemical corps , a hostel for students and an apartment for teachers.
In July 1930, a competition was announced to fill positions of heads of departments and teachers. One of the first to arrive from Odessa was Nikolai Dmitrievich Dovgallo, who became the dean of the only at that time medical-prophylactic faculty and the head of the department of anatomy.
Soon came the professors Chernyakhovsky, Kudryavtsev, Pauli, who headed the Department of Histology, Physiology and Biology, respectively. By the end of November 1930, the institute staffed six heads of departments, one docent and ten assistants (more than half of them worked part-time jobs). At the same time, more than a third of teachers' posts remained free.
On July 31, 1930, the People's Commissariat of Health of Ukraine established a recruitment plan: 200 students for the first course of the full-time department with a period of study of 4.5 years and 290 students for the workers' faculty. The first announcements of recruitment were published in the district and city newspapers "Stalinist Worker" and "Dictatorship of Labor" in June 1930. Admission to the Institute was held until November 1. A total of 297 applications were submitted, 188 people accepted. The young people from the workers and peasants had a preferential right to enroll. About half of them worked before as paramedics and nurses.
November 28, 1930 was the first lesson. At two o'clock in the afternoon, in a solemn atmosphere, Professor Dovgallo gave a lecture on anatomy. From the next day, regular classes in chemistry, physics, anatomy, and others began. Somewhat earlier, in October, classes began on medical workers' labor in the cities of Stalino, Makeyevka, Konstantinovka and Rubezhny.
It was difficult to organize the educational process: the tightness of the premises, the lack of necessary equipment and instruments, the lack of textbooks and reagents. Nevertheless, the exceptional energy of a small team of teachers helped to overcome difficulties. Teachers and students participated in the repair of premises, their equipment, produced visual and educational aids. Departments of the Institute were organized consistently, as the students passed the academic course, up to the first issue of doctors.
In the center of attention of the administration of the educational institution was the prospect of the development of the institute. For this, first of all, it was necessary to accelerate the construction of a special educational building, create normal living conditions for students. All these questions demanded an urgent decision, and the District Council of Working People's Deputies allocated the institute to the building of the Avtodor society and one of the buildings of the former local hospital. Here are located the Department of Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology, Pathological Anatomy, Pathophysiology and Human Physiology.
To conduct the educational process on hygiene and pediatrics, they resorted to the help of research institutes that already operated in the city: the regional institute of occupational hygiene and pathology and, somewhat later, the research institute for the protection of motherhood and childhood.
Practical lessons on microbiology were conducted in the laboratory of the regional sanitary and epidemiological station. All this contributed to the development of cooperation between the teachers of the Institute and the bodies of practical health, which has been growing from year to year. The problem of housing for students was partially solved: part of the classrooms of one of the seven-year schools was used as a dormitory.
In the spring of 1931, the design bureau of the People's Commissariat of Health of the Ukrainian SSR began to develop drawings for the construction of the morphological building. But the design was delayed, and construction began only in May 1934.
In 1931, two sets of students were conducted: in the summer - 103 and in the autumn - 104 people. Thus, by the beginning of 1932, 207 students were studying in the first course, and on the second was 150. In the future, the enrollment increased. In 1936, 869 applications were submitted for 40 places for the first course.
In 1931-1932, talented scientists and teachers started working at the newly created departments. Among them were A.V. Anuchin, N.N. Blagoveshchensky, V.M.Bogoslavsky, E.I.Bunin, A.I.Voinar, K.N. Zhmakin, B.Ya. Kaplun, S.F.Letnik, N.I.Medvedev, P.A.Miniovich, N.I.Romantsev, I.M.Chizhin, M.A.Chalisov, A. I.Charugin and others.
In the summer of 1936, the second edition of 110 doctors was held. They were students of the summer set of 1931. Thus, in 1936, the health authorities received 271 specialists from the Stalin Medical Institute. By this time, there were already 33 chairs in the institute, where 23 professors, 3 docents and 94 assistants worked. The total number of students in the academic year 1936/1937 reached 1443.
In 1936, a conference was held that summed up the results of the scientific activity of the professors and teachers of the Institute for 5 years. During this time, more than 100 scientific works were published; some of them were translated into foreign languages. 33 teachers prepared doctoral and master's theses for defense, based on the results of their research.
In 1937, Professor Ivan Dmitrievich Ionin headed the institute. He is the organizer of the Department of Infectious Diseases, an outstanding figure in Soviet medical science, later the chief epidemiologist and infectiologist of the Red Army, major general of the medical service.
From 1935 to 1939, the morphological building was commissioned in parts. It placed the Department of Normal Anatomy, Topographic Anatomy, Pathanatomy, Biology, Physics and Pathophysiology. At the service of the students, there were three inclined auditoriums equipped with projection units, X-ray room, educational anatomical museum and others.
At that time, due to the increase in the number of students, the number of students increased. In comparison with 1931-1935, admission to the first course increased from 200-300 to 450 people. The number of students in the 1940/1941 school year exceeded 2000 people.
Since 1938, the director of the Stalin Medical Institute was the associate professor of the Department of Psychiatry Isaak Moiseevich Sheikin.
Until 1939, the institute had only one medical-prophylactic faculty. In the 1939/1940 academic year, pediatric and sanitary-hygienic faculties were opened. For the entire pre-war period, the institute gave the country 1,966 doctors. However, the successful development and formation of the university prevented the war.
The German-Soviet War
The summer examination session of 1941 was interrupted by the German-Soviet war of 1941-1945. At the meeting, students and teachers announced their readiness to defend the Motherland with weapons in their hands. More than 300 young men and women - graduates of the Institute after the last state examination came to the district military committee with a request to send them to the front.
At the direction of the People's Commissariat for Health of the Ukrainian SSR, the courses of military field doctors were organized at the institute. The chief of them was appointed docent Zeligman, professor of the Department of Normal Anatomy. From July to October 1941, hundreds of doctors were trained at the courses, which later successfully helped fighters on different fronts of the war.
In October 1941, the city of Stalino was occupied by German troops. For unknown reasons, the Stalin Medical Institute was not evacuated. During the occupation from October 1941 to September 1943, the Stalin Medical Institute did not study students. At the same time, during this period, on its basis there were training courses for doctors.
Part of the Institute's staff was evacuated from Stalino, part went to the front, part remained in the occupied territory. Many of the remaining staff went to work in the city's hospitals, which were financed by the occupation authorities, some of them took part in the work of the doctors' advanced training courses.
As leaders of the military medical service, only 12 professors and teachers were called into the Red Army in the first month of the war. By the end of 1941, their number had increased to 20. The deputy of the Supreme Council of Ukraine, head of the Department of Infectious Diseases, Honored Doctor of Ukraine, Professor Ionin was appointed chief epidemiologist, then chief infectiologist of the Red Army, he died in May 1945.
Head of the Department of Hospital Surgery, Professor Bogoslavsky became the leading surgeon of the hospital; his wife, the assistant of the Department of Pathological Anatomy Bogoslavskaya and son Rostislav, the graduate student were surgeons of the same hospital. The Bogoslavskys family contributed their savings to the country's defense fund and received the gratitude of the Supreme Commander-in-Chief.
Honored Doctor of the Ukrainian SSR, Head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Professor Zhmakin worked as the chief gynecologist of the Kalinin and 1st Baltic Fronts, Head of the Department of ENT Diseases, Professor Letnik was the chief otolaryngologist of evacuation hospitals in the Sverdlovsk Region. The leading surgeons and chiefs of surgical departments in hospitals were Rayevsky, Sigalov, Stukalo (after the war - chief surgeon of the Donetsk regional branch), Agte (after the war - professor, head of the department of nervous diseases), Mogilev (after the war - associate professor of the department of nervous diseases), Kuznetsov, Osipov (after the war - assistant professor of department of faculty surgery), Landau (after the war - professor, head of the department of obstetrics and gynecology), Dmitruk (after the war - assistant professor of general surgery), Polyak, Zinkovsky.
Headed medical departments in hospitals, special laboratories or units in the troops of Katz (after the war - professor, head of the Department of FPO therapy), Shurenok, Svidler (after the war - assistant professor, head of the department of physiotherapy and physiotherapy), Leichik (after the war - assistant professor, Chair of Topographic Anatomy and Operative Surgery), Kolomoytsev (after the war - Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Microbiology, Virology and Immunology) and others. A student of the 4th year of the medical faculty Shaparenko (after the war - professor, head of the department of otorhinolaryngology) was a surgeon of the medical battalion, student of the 5th course Kondratenko (after the war - professor, head of the department of microbiology, virology and immunology, rector of the institute from 1964 to 1985) served in the medical units of the cavalry unit and the surgical field mobile hospital of the first line. Assistant of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Zalevsky participated in the defense of Stalingrad, in the liberation of the Kuban and Donbass.
Until the last moment of his life, he was inspired by the belief in the victory of the fighters who were leaving the circle, the young military doctor of the third rank of the 406th infantry regiment Leonenko. Taking part in the breakthrough of the enemy ring, he managed to pull out all the wounded with the regimental medical station, but after receiving a serious wound, he died in a hospital on December 23, 1941.
The example of bravery and heroism was shown by graduates of the institute of military doctor Mashkara and Rabichev, who died in the military post in the winter of 1941 in Leningrad.
Fearless patriots showed themselves to many doctors and students who were in the rear of the enemy. Head of the Department of Inorganic Chemistry Holovaty was the commander of the guerrilla group, operating in the city of Stalino and the region. The assistant of the Department of Histology of Sibirkov was a member of the partisan detachment under the command of Avdeev (Donskoy).
Docent of the Department of Organic Chemistry Fomichev was a member of the partisan group, shot by fascists in February 1943. Until the end of the military swearing remained a military doctor Vorobiev, who did not stop fighting and under inhuman conditions of fascist captivity. Together with other members of the resistance group, he participated in the organization of shoots.
Associate Professor of the Department of Organic Chemistry Fomichev was a member of the partisan group, shot by fascists in February 1943. Until the end of the military swearing remained a military doctor Vorobiev, who did not stop fighting and under inhuman conditions of fascist captivity. Together with other members of the resistance group, he participated in the organization of shoots.
A third-course student Vasilieva led a patriotic group in the city of Stalino. The patriots helped 243 prisoners of war escape from the fascist concentration camp. In 1942 all members of the group were shot.
After the liberation of the city of Stalin in September 1943, the morphological building of the Institute, 13 buildings of the clinical hospital, the building of the children's and skin-venereal clinics of the Institute, the physiotherapy clinic, the slag-therapy hospital were completely destroyed. At the same time, the psychiatric clinic and the central polyclinic survived, where several departments of the institute were located before the war.
Revival. One of the best
Two weeks after the liberation of the city, the registration of students began in the institute, which interrupted their studies in 1941, and in December 1943 classes resumed. Officially, the first academic year after the expulsion of the invaders began in January 1944 - 200 students were admitted to the first course. The study continued without summer vacations until October 1944. Then began regular 1944/1945 school year. For the lessons, the basements and basements of the morphological building and dormitories were used.
The leading scientists, heads of the departments, began to return to the city. From September 25, 1943 to March 3, 1944 temporarily acted as director of the Institute Professor Aleksey Iosifovich Voinar - head of the department of biochemistry, one of the founders of the doctrine of the role of trace elements in the human body.
In 1944, Professor Leonid Nikolaevich Kuzmenko was appointed as the director of the Institute - a leader with extensive experience, head of the department of faculty surgery.
In early 1945, there were already 126 teachers at the departments. The main buildings and dormitories of the Institute were revived, while the problem of equipping the clinical departments was solved. Already in 1948-1949 academic year, there was no need for reagents, paints, chemical glass, and medicines. Chairs have acquired many new instruments.
In 1951, Professor Kuzmenko headed the Lviv Medical Institute, and the rector of the Donetsk Medical Institute was appointed head of the Department of General Surgery, Professor Andrei Mikhailovich Ganichkin - an excellent surgeon and organizer, who did much for the further development of the university.
In 1952/1953 academic year, the first phase of the main morphological corps was handed over, which allowed placing eight theoretical departments in good premises. In 1954, the morphological building was completely restored.
Since September 1, 1953, the pediatric and sanitary-hygienic faculties have again started functioning at the Institute. In 1956, at the faculty of medicine organized evening department. In September 1968, on the basis of the evening department, the evening medical faculty was established, which in 1974 was transformed into the second medical faculty.
By the end of 1955, a pre-war number of theoretical and clinical departments had been reached. In 1959 the dormitory for 700 places was put into operation. This allowed the former dormitory to be used for the training base. A year later, another hostel for 300 places was introduced.
In 1961, the Stalin Medical Institute was renamed the Donetsk State Medical Institute.
In 1962, the Faculty of Advanced Physicians was created, the first dean of which was Professor Bogoslavsky. Initially, the advanced training was conducted at the departments, leading students. Since 1963, the departments of the faculty for the improvement of doctors have been organized.
In 1963, the dental faculty opened its doors, which was headed by Professor Trankvilitati.
In 1964, Professor Ganichkin was appointed director of the Leningrad Research Institute of Oncology of the USSR Academy of Medical Sciences.
From 1964 to 1985, the Institute's staff was headed by the head of the Department of Microbiology, Virology and Immunology, Honored Scientist of Ukraine, Professor Gennady Petrovich Kondratenko, who for a long time worked as a pro-rector for academic work. For the first time in history, the university was headed by his former graduate. The institute developed rapidly in the 1960s and 1970s. The new buildings, hostels have grown, the educational and clinical bases have expanded, the volume of scientific research has increased.
The expansion of the educational and production base of the Institute was facilitated by the commissioning of a new six-story building of the Sanitary and Hygienic Faculty - the 3rd educational building (in 1971). In the new building there is an assembly hall for 1000 seats, auditoriums for 160, 190 and 420 seats.
From 1965 to 1985, the clinical base of the Institute was significantly expanded. It was represented by a large network of medical and preventive institutions. More than 70 city and central district hospitals, about 20 children's hospitals and departments, 20 dental offices and polyclinics, as well as 13 sanitary-epidemiological stations are used for industrial practice of students and post-graduate students.
Important changes occurred in the faculty. So, if in 1962/1963 academic year 439 teachers worked at the institute, 22 of them were doctors and 54 candidates of sciences, then in the 1980/1981 school year at 6 faculties of the preparatory department, in the central research laboratory there were already 884 employees, including 83 doctors and 508 candidates of science.
After the end of the German-Soviet war before the institute team, along with other important tasks, faced the issue of scientific research. Already in 1949, the majority of faculty members took part in the scientific work. In the postwar period, by September 1952, the teachers defended 5 doctoral and 27 candidate dissertations.
By 1952, the department could take already 6 graduate students and 20 clinical residents (in 1946/1947 - respectively 2 and 11). The result of active research work, which developed in the Institute in the postwar years, was a significant increase in its scientific and pedagogical staff. The number of teachers with a scientific degree and academic rank increased by 1952 to 60 people.
By the mid-1970s Donetsk State Medical Institute had grown from a small university of the third category into one of the largest and leading medical institutes in the USSR, conceding only the first Moscow Medical Institute and the Second Moscow Medical Institute in terms of the number of students studying.
By the mid-1980s, there were 2 medical, pediatric, sanitary-hygienic, dental faculties, the faculty for improving doctors and the preparatory department.
By this time in the university built: sanitation, sports and dental corps, Central Research Laboratory, 7 hostels for 4406 seats, a dining room for 550 seats, a sports camp "Solnechny" on the bank of the river. Seversky Donets, sanatorium-dispensary for students was created.
Only for the period from 1965 to 1985, the staff of the Institute defended 78 doctoral and 496 Ph.D. theses, received 314 inventor's certificates of invention, received 3 State Prizes of Ukraine, 1 Prize of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 10 medals and 21 diplomas of the All-Union Exhibition of Economic Achievements of Ukraine and the USSR. For five consecutive years (from 1981 to 1985) Donetsk Medical Institute ranked first among all medical institutes of the USSR in terms of educational and methodological work.
At this time in the institute there is a whole galaxy of fine teachers and scientists: professors Dikshtein, Trankuvilitati, Kimbarovskaya, Zeligman, Komissarov, Kondratenko, Drell, Lastkov, Slusarev Vanhanen, Zorin, Grin, Kiryakulov, Lavrinenko, Andryushin, Selivanov, Shaptala, Elsky, Talakin, as well as clinicians - Torsuyev, Ovnatanyan, Gubergrits, Frankfurt, Bogoslavskiy, Agte, Reznik, Vitebsky, Shtutin, Kushch, Zavgorodny, Gredzhev, Shaparenko, Gmyrya, Bukharovich, Kryukova, Polyak, Vereshchagin, Karpushin, Miroshnichenko, Kondratenko, Molzhaninov, Bondar, Merzon, Novikova, Okushko, Ostropolets, Oberemchenko, Pavlenko, Rodin, Sernyak, Sinyachenko, Samar, Turbin, Kharaberyush, Taranenko, Shcherbina, Butsenko, Bondarev, Dorofeeva.
It was thanks to their efforts that the foundation for the further flourishing of our Alma Mater was created. In 1980, for the great achievements in training qualified personnel for practical healthcare, success in scientific and medical work, as well as in connection with the 50th anniversary of the foundation, the Donetsk State Medical Institute was awarded with the Certificate of Honor of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Ukrainian SSR (at that time - the highest award of the Ukrainian SSR).
From 1985 to 2010, the rector of the University was the Head of the Department of Normal Physiology, Hero of Ukraine, Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Honored Worker of Science and Technology of Ukraine, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor Valery Nikolayevich Kazakov. Special attention in this period of time was paid to the development of science and the training of scientific and pedagogical personnel of the highest qualification - candidates and doctors of medical sciences.
In 1990, the International Training Center was organized, the goal of which was pre-university training of foreign citizens, and in 2002, the pharmaceutical faculty began its work.
Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine on June 15, 1994 № 407 M. Gorky Donetsk State Medical Institute was awarded the status of university and the university was certified for the fourth (highest) level of accreditation.
Decree of the President of Ukraine of August 23, 2007 № 785/2007 M. Gorky Donetsk State Medical University was given the status of national.
Since 2010, the university is headed by the head of the Department of Oncology and Radiology, Faculty of Internship and Postgraduate Education, Corresponding Member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Honored Worker of Science and Technology of Ukraine, laureate of the State Prize of Ukraine, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor Yuri Vasilievich Dumansky- graduate of our university.
The prerogative of the university is the uninterrupted unity of educational, scientific and medical work. The university has a full cycle of doctor training: a medical lyceum, a faculty for the training of nurses (secondary specialized education with a higher basic level), a university (higher education), an internship (specialization) and the improvement of physicians with their attestation. Clinical bases of the University are located in the largest health facilities of the city and the region.
Nearly 6000 students are trained at the university in seven faculties: three medical, international, dental, pharmaceutical, postgraduate education, 1500 interns, and more than 8,500 doctors-cadets annually improve their qualifications. There is a magistracy, clinical residency, postgraduate study, doctoral studies.
The educational process at 79 departments of the University is provided by more than 1100 teachers, more than 200 of them are doctors of sciences and professors and more than 600 are candidates of science and associate professors. Among the university lecturers are 2 Heroes of Ukraine, 3 academicians of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 6 Corresponding Members of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 19 Honored Workers of Science and Technology of Ukraine, 3 Honored Workers of Higher Education and Public Education of Ukraine, 12 Honored Physicians of Ukraine, 13 laureates of the State Prize of Ukraine in the field science and technology.
M.Gorky Donetsk State Medical University has such basic scientific divisions:
- Research institutes and clinics:
- Research Institute of Traumatology and Orthopedics,
- Research Institute of medical problems of the family,
- University clinic;
- Research centers and laboratories:
- International Medical Physicochemical Center,
- Central Research Laboratory,
- Donetsk Regional Center for Maternity and Childhood Protection,
- Center of dermatocosmetology and aesthetic medicine,
- Regional Medical Center "Medicine and Occupational Safety"
- Center for International Cooperation "Fetus as a Patient"
-Center for Cell and Tissue Transplantation.
Pre-university training is conducted in the medical lyceum, the People's University "Young Medic", the International Training Center for International Students. Educational activity of the University is licensed by the Ministry of Education and Science, Youth and Sports of Ukraine.
The university publishes 14 scientific and practical journals, many of which have won recognition far beyond Ukraine:
- «Archive of clinical and experimental medicine»,
- "International Bulletin of Medicine"
- "Ukrainian Journal of Surgery"
- "Child's Health",
- «Neurosciences: theoretical and clinical aspects»,
- "University Clinic"
- "Ukrainian Journal of Telemedicine and Medical Telematics"
- "Journal of Dermatology and Cosmetology Torsuyev”
- "Bulletin of Urgent and Rehabilitation Medicine"
- "Bulletin of Hygiene and Epidemiology"
- "Medical and social problems of the family"
- "Journal of Psychiatry and Medical Psychology"
- "International Neurological Journal".
There are 6 specialized scientific councils with the right to defend dissertations for the degree of doctor of medical sciences in the university in the following specialties: hygiene, normal physiology, rheumatology, pathological physiology, pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, traumatology and orthopedics, immunology and allergology, anesthesiology and intensive care, cardiology, internal diseases, oncology, radiation diagnostics and radiation therapy, pathological anatomy.
In this period of time, a great contribution to the creation of the image of the university was made by professors: Aizyatulov, Arbuzova, Astakhov, Barinov, Boenko, Bondar, Verkhuletsky, Vesely, Gerasimenko, Grin, Gubergrits, Gulmammedov, Dorofeev, Dumansky, Dyadyk, Evtushenko, Ignatenko, Kazakov, Kardash, Klemin, Klimovitsky, Kondratenko, Lastkov, Lobas, Lyakh, Matros-Taranets, Miminoshvili, Nagornaya, Pavlyuchenko, Pedorets, Protsenko, Seleznev, Sernyak, Sinjachenko, Sokrut, Statinova, Surzhansky, Sukhina, Udod, Khomenko, Chaika, Cherniy, Chizhevsky, Yulish, Yarov, and others.
The Russian-Ukrainian War (2014 - ...)
The war, now Russian-Ukrainian, once again interrupted the progressive development of our university. Despite the seizure of administrative buildings, riots in the city, the University managed to complete the 2013/2014 academic year, and graduates - to issue Ukrainian diplomas on higher medical education. The students admission to the university was resumed.
July 5, 2014 Donetsk was completely occupied by the Russian army, Russian mercenaries and representatives of local collaborators. Due to the fact that on September 1, 2014 the university was subordinated to the "Ministry of Education and Science" of the so-called "DPR (Donetsk People's Republic)", it was forced to suspend its work.
In accordance with the order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine from 11/21/2014 № 886 Donetsk National Medical University. M. Gorky from 1.12.2014 temporarily conducts his work on a new legal address on the basis of the Krasnolimansky Medical College.
By that time, part of the university staff had moved to other universities in Ukraine (Kiev, Kharkiv, Dnipropetrovsk, Zaporozhye, Ivano-Frankivsk, etc.), part of the staff moved to Kramatorsk and began organizing the university, some of the staff remained in the occupied territory in Donetsk and continued working in the medical university of the so-called "DPR ".
Despite the numerous difficulties, the initiative group of teachers and students carried out a huge work on the organization of the educational process and the creation of clinical bases of the university in the new conditions.
The main base for the administration of the university and most departments of the theoretical profile was the Donbass State Machine-Building Academy in Kramatorsk. Clinical departments were organized on the basis of medical and prophylactic institutions of Kramatorsk, Slavyansk, Druzhkovka. The branch of the faculty of internship and post-graduate education is organized in Mariupol.
Studies with interns and cadets began on January 5, 2015, and with students on February 2. Currently, students are studying at the university in the following specialties: medical science, pediatrics, medical prophylaxis, dentistry, pharmacy. Almost all specialties provide training in internships, as well as at the post-graduate level of education (primary specialization, pre-certification cycle, thematic improvement).
At the university there is the Student Scientific Society Dovgallo, student self-government, trade union of students, and for leisure of students there are sports sections and circles of amateur performances.
April 8, 2015, the Research Institute of Traumatology and Orthopedics of the Donetsk National Medical University M. Gorky (university clinic) in the city of Liman resumed its work.
May 14, 2015, the 77th scientific conference of students and young scientists was held, in which students from Kiev, Kharkov, Ternopil, Ivano-Frankivsk, Vinnitsa took part.
An introductory company at the university was successfully conducted (given the proximity to the front line). On September 1, 2015, almost 500 freshmen started their studies.
Among the staff of the university are 4 Corresponding Members of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 4 Honored Workers of Science and Technology of Ukraine, 2 Honored Physicians of Ukraine, 2 Honored Workers of Health of Ukraine, 4 Laureates of the State Prize of Ukraine in Science and Technology.
In 2015, the university staff prepared and published 4 textbooks, 12 teaching aids, 9 methodological recommendations.
The university has a specialized scientific council D 11.600.04 with the right to accept and defend theses for the degree of doctor of medical sciences in 4 specialties: 14.01.12 - "rheumatology", 14.01.21 - "traumatology and orthopedics", 14.01.07 - "oncology", 14.01.22 - "stomatology".
The University publishes 7 periodical scientific and practical journals: "Ukrainian Journal of Surgery", "Trauma", "Child's Health", "Archive of Ophthalmology of Ukraine", "Bulletin of the Club of Pancreatologists of Ukraine", "International Neurological Journal", Journal of Dermatovenereology and Cosmetology Torsuyev ».
In 2015, the university staff published 468 scientific works, including 4 monographs. Ten teachers of DNMU work as the main non-staff specialists of the Department of Health of Donetsk Regional State Administration.
At the end of 2015, the Department of Dentistry was equipped with new dental units, specialized furniture and modern medical and diagnostic equipment.
In February 2016, the University opened the Information Technology Center, which is designed both for computer assessment of students' knowledge, interns and doctors-cadets, and for preparation for classes and self-testing knowledge. In their free time, including evening time, each student can take advantage of available free access to high-speed Internet, record available information, use multifunction devices (scan, print) for free.
Also in February 2016, the University opened the Center of Simulation Medicine, where students have the opportunity to master all the necessary practical skills - intravenous, intramuscular, subcutaneous injections, assistance with trauma to the head, spine and limbs, carry out treatment of wounds and burns, perform cardio pulmonary resuscitation and much more.
According to the consolidated ranking of higher education institutions of Ukraine in 2015, compiled by the educational information resource "Osvita.ua", Donetsk National Medical University M. Gorky took the 13th place among all universities of Ukraine, 1 place - among medical universities and 4 place - among the universities of the eastern region.
Years will pass, but we are sure that future generations of university employees and students will honorably honor the glorious history of their native ALMA MATER!
In spite of numerous difficulties, the initiative group of teachers and students carried out huge work on organization of educational process and creation of clinical sites of the university under the new conditions.
On 1 September 2016, in Kropyvnytsky were opened the following departments: Medical Faculty No. 2 and the International Medical Faculty, the Medical Faculty No. 3 started its work on September 1, 2017 in Mariupol.
At present time, the University is headed by the Honored Worker of Science and Technology of Ukraine, Laureate of State Prize of Ukraine, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor Petro Kondratenko.